Question for all writers
Colin
2005-07-22 15:47:41 UTC
This is open to Peter, Bev, and any other writers who wish to comment-

As a fan, I frequently have strong opinions about what characters I
want to read about, and what sort of stories I want to read. I want
to fire off rambling letters with plot ideas such as Koko 2- in which
Michael Poole and Maggie Lah search the globe for Koko, only to find
him in the form of a child who asks "what is the worst thing you've
ever done?"

As a writer, is it annoying to you to hear from people demanding
certain stories or trying to give you 'helpful hints' about what to
write next?

Do you ever listen to people or conciously add ideas, characters, or
plots that you think would please fans, or is your writing dictated by
some muse or other source of inspiration?

I'm a curious reader!
Bev Vincent
2005-07-22 19:37:18 UTC
Post by Colin
This is open to Peter, Bev, and any other writers who wish to comment-
As a fan, I frequently have strong opinions about what characters I
want to read about, and what sort of stories I want to read. I want
to fire off rambling letters with plot ideas such as Koko 2- in which
Michael Poole and Maggie Lah search the globe for Koko, only to find
him in the form of a child who asks "what is the worst thing you've
ever done?"
As a writer, is it annoying to you to hear from people demanding
certain stories or trying to give you 'helpful hints' about what to
write next?
Do you ever listen to people or conciously add ideas, characters, or
plots that you think would please fans, or is your writing dictated by
some muse or other source of inspiration?
I'm a curious reader!
Colin:

It hasn't really happened to me, but I know that there are legal reasons why
writers cannot entertain plot suggestions from fans. I think it's okay to
say: do you think you'll ever write about Michael Poole again? but not
kosher to say: here's a great idea for a story featuring Michael Poole and
Maggie Lah.

I'm sure there might be cases where a writer was inspired to pursue a sequel
based on fan interest, but as a rule I think writers only write what comes
from within them, what interests them, and very rarely to satisfy the needs
of fans to hear more about beloved characters.
--
Bev Vincent
www.BevVincent.com
Peter Straub
2005-07-23 15:19:49 UTC
Post by Bev Vincent
Post by Colin
Do you ever listen to people or conciously add ideas, characters, or
plots that you think would please fans, or is your writing dictated by
some muse or other source of inspiration?
I'm sure there might be cases where a writer was inspired to pursue a sequel
based on fan interest, but as a rule I think writers only write what comes
from within them, what interests them, and very rarely to satisfy the needs
of fans to hear more about beloved characters.
And I think Bev is pretty much right on the money here. I've had dozens of
people come up and tell me, somtimes at great length, what they're sure is
a great idea for a book or a story,and every time I have struggled to keep
from showing my annoyance at having my time being so thoroughly wasted.
It's supposed to come from inside, and if it isn't, it's really mine, it
isn't really genuine. And much of the time,these people are not actually
being generous with supposedly brilliant ideas, but trying to
demonstrate how creative they imagine themselves to be. They want to be
admired. There are plenty of worse character flaws.

Peter
allen goforth

Peter
Peter Straub
2005-08-20 18:00:33 UTC
Peter, is it not possible though that someone elses idea could cause a
creative spark in you that would become something distinctly your own.
Yes, I'm sure that's possible. In fact, it has probably happened to me
half a dozen times.

Peter